Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tuesday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Numbers 21: 4-9, Psalm 102, John 8: 21-30

The words to an old hymn say, “Lord, lift me up and let me stand, by faith on heaven’s table land, a higher plane than I have known, Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”

In Numbers 21 the people of Israel spoke against God and against Moses and said, “Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the desert? There is no bread! There is no water! And we detest this miserable food!” Then the Lord sent venomous snakes among them; they bit the people and many Israelites died. The people repented and asked Moses to pray to God to help them.

The Lord said to Moses, “Make a snake and put it on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live.” So Moses made a bronze snake and put it up on a pole. Then when anyone was bitten by a snake and looked at the bronze snake, he lived. The Gospel of John (3:14) says: “Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.”

Later in John (8: 28-29) he quotes Jesus as saying, “When you have lifted up the son of Man, then you will know that I am the one I claim to be and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me.”

The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him.

May we know that we are never alone and may we seek to do what pleases God. Lord lift us up!

Mary Lee Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment